Friday 4 July 2008

Vive La France





Our first night in France I woke in the middle of the night to a big rain storm - a summery night, a breeze with the storm, I was in a room with huge ceilings, big shuttered windows and had absolutely no idea where I was! Was it Australia? Was it Sweden? (It certainly wasn't Iceland any more). Eventually it dawned on me that we were staying chez Baptiste & Fany in their new home (which is in fact an old and very grand home) in Jargeau. The house is great - Love it - and there is so much they can do with it too. We're looking forward to the changes they make as they make it their own, (it has 4 levels!!)


It may look small - but inside it's definitely not.

Baptiste, Marie-Françoise, Sacha & Sylvain in
Sacha's room! The perfect room for a child (or anyone really)

Here we've been catching up with family - eating loads of French delicacies, and occasionally swimming. Unlike the Icelanders, The French are TERRIIIIBLE with their lane etiquette. Firstly they don't use lanes most of the time, and this has resulted in at least one French woman being almost concussed by me at speed in the pool as she meandered out of a straight line. And a few near collisions with a man swimming with his glasses on, but obviously for no good reason. I could go on - but I will save that for another time.
The Goumand Estate... an escape from the everyday.




Our nephew Sacha has grown even more and today took his first few very tenuous steps on his own (I have photos! - Ed. see below) I expect independent walking within the week. I've been taking it easy back here in France - it's like home away from home, and I tend to do less photography and general traveling stuff.


Tomorrow we start our journey home. I'm normally looking forward to it by this time away - but I'd be quite happy to continue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys

Le Tour starts tonight - Im interested to see if the French media rate Cadel Evans (AUS) as highly as the rest of the world and have him as favourite....

Uni pool was closed for a few days this week (Thur and Fri) as the MASSIVE Westerly winds filled the pool with dirt from the URAC stage 10 construction - so the worst 2 weeks of water Josh Minogue told me he had seen at URAC - so the French and their poor swimming skills are better than the 21 degree URAC aqua !!!

Nice day today - even though they are short (5.30pm dark last night) - its still a great place to be here in Wollongong !!!

Enjoy the trip home as much as possible - maybe even swim at Singapore airport if you are routed that way !

see you soon
JT